Visa Information

Note: The information contained on this page is particularly sensitive. Frequently Visa regulations are subject to change without notice. We will not accept any liability for the information given below. It is strongly recommended to confirm with the respective US consulate or embassy before making any travel decision.

Travelling without a Visa (Visa Waiver Program)

EU and Japanese citizens may travel to the United States for business or pleasure without a visa provided they have a valid passport, a return or onward ticket, and will stay for no more than 90 days.

Tourists and business people who take advantage of this program may not extend their stay in the United States beyond 90 days and may not change their visa status.

The waiver program has been extended to include nationals of the following countries: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

To enter the U.S. on this Visa Waiver Program, travelers from participating countries must be:

  • A citizen of one of the countries named above, traveling on an unexpired passport AND MUST BE IN POSESSION OF INDIVIDUAL MACHINE READABLE PASSPORTS.
  • Traveling for business, pleasure or transit only;
  • Staying in the United States for 90 days or less;

And if entering the United States by air or sea must be holding a return or onward ticket. If travelling on an electronic ticket, a copy of the itinerary must be carried for presentation to the immigration inspector.


  • Beginning January 12, 2009, all nationals and citizens of Visa Waiver Program countries will be required to obtain a travel authorization prior to initiating travel to the United States. This authorization may be obtained online through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), a free Internet application administered by the Department of Homeland Security through a U.S. government Web site.
  • Students who wish to study in a program of 24 or more lessons per week should enter the country with an F-1 student visa.

Student Visa (F-1 student visa)

Students who wish to study for more than 90 days, or in a program of 24 or more lessons per week should enter the country with an F-1 student visa.

Upon entry to the U.S.A., each student will have to present a valid passport, the student visa and the I-20 form. Students may also be asked to have a copy of the ELC confirmation document and a financial support letter.

ELC has fully complied with all new regulations and has been approved by the US government to issue I-20 forms and will issue it after receiving the enrollment and below mentioned documents*.

After receiving the I-20 form, the student must apply for the F-1 visa at the nearest USA visa application office. Most students will be required to have an interview before receiving the visa.

Once in the United States, all students with this visa must abide by all regulations governing student visa holders, maintain valid passports and I-20 forms.


  • In order to issue the I-20, ELC student must provide the following documents:
    1. A copy of their passport
    2. A bank statement balance either of the student or the supporter* together with the Adiff support letter(*parents, spouse or others financing the trip) in order to justify sufficient funds to cover all of their expenses (cost of tuition, accommodations & personal expenses) while staying in the United States.
    Option 2 is not necessary if the student prefers to pay the full tuition prior to issuing the I-20. Bear in mind that at the embassy or visa application office you will still need to provide the bank statement.
  • In the case the I-20 is requested less than four weeks prior to course starting date. ELC will need to send the I-20 urgent and charge the corresponding courier fee.